February is National Heart Health Month
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Join Kennedy in taking action today to prevent heart disease in the future!!
- More than 2 million heart attacks and strokes occur in the US every year.
- Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States.
- 2200 deaths occur daily in the U.S. as a result of cardiovascular disease.
- $444 billion is spent in healthcare costs and lost productivity in the U.S. each year.
What is being done?
- The department of health and human services initiated the Million Hearts Program in 2011.
- The goal of the program is to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2016 by…
- Empowering Americans to make healthy choices
- Cessation of tobacco use
- Reduce dietary in take of sodium and trans fat
- Improving Care for those who need treatment due to heart attack or stroke with the ABCS
- A – aspirin for people with cardiovascular risk factors
- B- blood pressure control
- C- Cholesterol management
- S- Smoking cessation
What can you do?
- Join the Million Hearts Initiative! - Log on to www.millionhearts.hhs.gov to take the pledge.
- Be active for 30 minutes on most days.
- Eat a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Know your ABCS.
- Take all medications as prescribed.