Healthy Holiday Cookout Options
Tuesday, July 01, 2014
This summer treat your friends and family to healthy cookout fare. The old standards can be made healthier with just a few changes and still keep their crowd appeal. Try adding these healthy updates of cookout faves to your backyard bash menu:
Savory Grilled Corn
Enjoy grilled corn without all of the fat and calories of butter.
- 6 ears fresh corn with husk removed
- 6 teaspoons of minced garlic (sold in the jar in water)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- Place an ear of corn on top of an open aluminum foil sheet.
- Sprinkle the ear with 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, rotating the ear as you sprinkle.
- Sprinkle the cilantro, lemon pepper and chili pepper on the ear, rotating as you sprinkle.
- Wrap the ear tightly in the foil sheet.
- On a preheated grill, place the wrapped corn on the grill for about 12-15 minutes, turning every 3 minutes.
Skinny Girl Potato Salad
A cookout favorite made with the protein of eggs and yogurt and without the empty calories and fat of mayonnaise.
- 4 medium potatoes - cooked, peeled and cubed
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 celery stalk, sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- In a large bowl mix yogurt, lemon juice, mustard, celery seeds, seasonings and garlic together.
- Add the potatoes, eggs, celery stalk, peppers and onion. Stir lightly until uniformly covered with dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.