Jefferson's NJ Wound Care Center Raises Awareness of Heart Health's Impact on Wound Healing
An alarming 33 percent of Americans currently suffer from cardiovascular disease. Throughout Heart Health Awareness Month in February, Jefferson Health’s New Jersey-based Center for Advanced Wound Care & Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is working to spread awareness about how cardiovascular diseases can affect the wound healing process.
Cardiovascular diseases, such as coronary artery disease, peripheral artery disease, strokes, arrhythmia, and vascular disease, can causes blockages that obstruct the flow of blood needed for proper wound healing. Chronic wounds affect approximately 6.7 million people in the U.S.; if left untreated, an unhealed wound on the foot or leg can lead to a diminished quality of life and possible amputation.
The Jefferson Center for Advanced Wound Care, with locations in Cherry Hill and Washington Township, NJ, offers the following tips to live a heart-healthy life:
* Live an active lifestyle with 30 minutes of exercise on most days.
* Don’t smoke or use tobacco – it is one of the most significant risk factors for developing heart disease.
* Enjoy a heart-healthy diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and other low-fat sources of protein.
* Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. All of these chronic conditions can lead to heart disease.
* Ensure you get quality sleep by making it a priority in your life. Most adults need at least 7 hours of sleep each night.
* Manage your stress in a healthy way with positive self-talk, doing things you enjoy, and relaxing on a regular basis.
* See your healthcare provider for regular screenings for blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes.
* Take off your socks at your next checkup and speak up about any problems with your legs or feet.
The Jefferson Center for Advanced Wound Care & Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has outpatient treatment facilities in Cherry Hill (2211 Chapel Avenue, Suite 404) and Washington Township (543 Egg Harbor Road, Sewell) that provide comprehensive treatment for non-healing wounds — or wounds that have not significantly improved in a month, or completely healed in two months. For more information, call 1-866-547-4325 or visit www.KennedyIsJefferson.org/wound.