What Is Palliative Care?
Palliative medicine (also called palliative care) focuses on relieving pain, managing symptoms, and understanding medical conditions and care options at every stage of a serious illness. Kennedy Health is proud to work with Samaritan Healthcare & Hospice’s Palliative Medical Partners—the regional leader in palliative medicine—as its preferred provider of one of the fastest-growing medical specialties in America.
Our Pain & Palliative Care Services focus on managing the symptoms or side effects associated with illness treatments, such as:
- Shortness of Breath
- Loss of Appetite
- Difficulty Sleeping
Palliative care can help at any stage of a serious illness, even if a patient is undergoing other treatments for:
- Cardiac disease
- Respiratory Disease
- Kidney Failure
- Multiple sclerosis (MS) and More
What Are the Benefits of Palliative Care?
The goal of palliative care is to help patients and their caregivers achieve the best possible quality of life, at any stage of illness. Working with patients, family members, and Kennedy physicians, Palliative Medical Partners’ physicians and nurse practitioners can provide:
- Close communication with all involved in your care
- Assessment and treatment plan recommendations
- Expert management of pain and other symptoms
- Help navigating the healthcare system
- Guidance with complex treatment choices
- Emotional and resource support for you and your family
Who Is Eligible?
Palliative care can be the right choice if you or your loved one is:
- Living with any type of serious illness
- Undergoing treatments that cause fatigue or side effects
- Coping with uncontrolled pain and/or symptoms
- In need of increased help with dressing, eating and bathing, etc.
- Frequently hospitalized or making multiple trips to the Emergency Department
The Palliative Care Team
The Palliative Medical Partners team includes physicians who are board-certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine; board-certified, palliative-trained Advanced Practice Nurses (APN) and a Registered Nurses (RN).
Liaison Practice Samaritan’s Palliative Medical Partners service at Kennedy blends the art and science of comfort care, pain relief, symptom control, and medical decision-making. These comfort experts will help you and your family better understand your medical condition, and navigate choices open to you every step of the way throughout your illness or injury. They provide an extra layer of medical specialty support to you and your Kennedy Health team.
Where Are Palliative Care Services Provided?
Consultations and follow-up care are provided at:
- Kennedy’s three hospital locations – Cherry Hill, Stratford, and Washington Township
- Patients’ homes (for homebound patients unable to travel to their doctor’s office for issues related to serious illness)
Are Palliative Services Covered by Insurance?
Palliative services are covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most commercial insurers with applicable co-payments and deductible.
Schedule a Consultation
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a serious illness, ask your Kennedy physician if a referral for a consultation with a Samaritan Palliative Medicine Specialist would be helpful, or call 855-PALL-MED (855-725-5633) for more information.
If you or a loved on is a patient at Kennedy University Hospital and you are interested in a Pain and Palliative Care consultation with our team, please let your doctor or nurse know, or call 855-PALL-MED (855-725-5633) for more information.